Friday Day 4
- Congratulations to this year’s statewide Scholastic Writing Winners, who submitted in the categories of flash fiction, poetry, personal essay or memoir, and humor, and won the following prizes:
- Gold Key: Kabir Narayanan and Rohini Narayanan
- Silver Key: Lucy Anderson, Kabir Narayanan, and Rohini Narayanan
- Honorable Mention: Kabir Narayanan
Reminder to Sene-Gambian Scholars: We will meet for an in-school field trip during F and G periods on Monday, February 3, in Room 135. Please bring your folders and Chromebooks.
- The Student Advisory Council will meet on Monday, February 3rd at 2:45 in room 239. Please check in with Mr. Thompson if you can't attend.
- Do you wish you could understand more Spanish? Spanish language learners and newcomers alike are invited to come to the first Spanish Language Practice Group. Please join us this Monday February 3rd at 2:30 in Room 152 for pizza and to learn more about this opportunity. ¡Gracias!
- Are you a Junior or Senior who may be interested in attending Greenfield Community College and want to know more? If so, we are taking a field trip to tour the campus and learn about admissions, services, programs, etc. The trip will take place on Friday, 2/14/20 in the morning. You will be back in time for 3rd lunch. Permission slips can be picked up in the guidance office and need to be returned to Ms. Garrity in Guidance by TODAY!
- Seniors (and soon Juniors!) Can you hear your Friendly Neighborhood College and Career Counselor Weeping about Naviance? Two notes for you.
- 1. Password Reset - As of January 27th, Naviance reset the passwords for passwords that didn't meet new criteria. Use the "reset password" button. Cut and paste the temporary password and make sure there are no extra spaces! then make a new password.
- 2. Awesome Messages in Spam - Some of Ms. Cuffee-Gray's emails are being remanded to Spam folders. You're missing out on important information. Grrrrrr! Go in your Spam folders and unblock Naviance messages.
- Do you love to read and discuss amazing books? Are you interested in learning more about Jewish literature? If so, apply to the Great Jewish Books summer program at Hampshire College for rising high school juniors and seniors, held from July 26-31. You’ll read selections from important works of modern and contemporary Jewish literature and consider how they speak to the current day. Every single admitted participant receives a scholarship for the full cost of tuition, room, board, books, and special events!!! It’s an amazing experience, open to all, including “Jewish students, people with multiple heritages, people of color, LGBTQ+ participants, and non-Jewish participants. Anyone who has an interest in Jewish literature and culture is welcome to apply!” Applications due March 9,2020. https://www.yiddishbookcenter.
org/educational-programs/ great-jewish-books-summer- program/about See Ms. Barber-Just in 172 with questions!
- Juniors - Your Friendly Neighborhood College and Career Advisor is Coming to You! Beginning on January 31st Deidre Cuffee-Gray will be visiting social studies classes to give an overview of the "Life After ARHS" process here at ARHS. You will be introduced to the college and career planning process, and invited to complete your "Life After ARHS Survey Class of 2021" so that you can schedule a College and Career Planning Meeting with your parents & guardians beginning in February. Note that regardless of your intended path, all juniors are encouraged to complete the "Life After ARHS Survey Class of 2021" and schedule a meeting with Ms. Cuffee-Gray.
- Seniors. Are colleges that you applied to contacting you for transcripts and/or mid-year transcripts? When you look on Naviance are your transcripts listed as "Delivered"? Sometimes colleges send this notification because they are waiting for Semester grades even though your Initial Transcript has been sent. Because our semester has just ended, we will send semester grades when teachers have submitted final grades, and they have been verified in mid-February. This is true at most US high schools that operate on semester calendars. If you need a transcript for a different matter, or a college is insisting that the transcript be sent now (we cannot), please check in with Ms. Garrity. She is the person that can give transcripts.
- Seal of Biliteracy: We will have our first After School meeting on Tuesday, February, 4th in room 318 (Ms Lopez's classroom). We will work in our language groups and start preparing for the STAMP test and portfolios. Thank you for applying to the program and see you all there next Tuesday! Merci, Madame Cissé.
- JET's TEAM+S Participants: Please get your registration fees to Ms. Blauner (room 223) ASAP or we will not be able to register your team. If you are requesting a fee waiver let her know, otherwise it is $30 (checks made out to ARHS with your name in the memo line).
- Just a reminder to seniors that Superlative Nominations end TODAY, Jan. 31st! Remember that you don't need to nominate for every category! The top 6 candidates in every category will be put to a vote, so get your names in! Check in your email for the link to nominate.